What is Care Navigation?
Care Navigation is a process of ensuring patients are guided to the most appropriate service or appointment to meet their need.
Why is Care Navigation being used at Whaddon Healthcare?
As the range of services we offer to patients continues to grow it is important that patients are supported to choose the most appropriate appointment to meet their needs. Patient Advisors do not make clinical decisions but they are trained to help patients navigate the services offered by the practice and locally to help you choose the appointment type that best meets your needs.
What will this mean for me as a patient?
- You can continue to make appointments in the usual ways- In person and via Telephone.
- When making an appointment you may be asked some questions about the nature of your problem by our Patient Advisors. The answers help us direct you to the most appropriate service or clinician. We are lucky to be able to offer appointments with a large team of experienced clinicians, including Physicians Associates, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Physiotherapists, First Contact Practitioners, Clinical Pharmacists and Paramedics as well as our GP’s.
- You may be directed to a community service such as Community Pharmacist or Community Eye Service. This is because the service they offer is best suited to meet your needs.
- You may be offered an extended access appointment at a service located at a different site around Milton Keynes such as the Urgent Care Centre. These appointments are often available outside of our practices usual opening times.
- Some services are now self-referral. This means you do not need to see a clinician to be referred. Our Patient advisor can provide details about how to self refer.